Feature photo credit www.HM.com
Suddenly this word is all buzzy and hip. I know what happened. Some woman in fuzzy yoga pants replied to her husband’s upturned nose. “It’s ATHLEISURE!!!” She literally made it up on the spot. I am convinced. Well, whatever, now the word is sticky and it is not going anywhere and neither are sports bras.
So let’s talk about it. Can it be done? Can athletic wear successfully double as appropriate street gear? My cat hair covered “yuck pants” (as dubbed by my husband) would yell a resounding yes (if cat hair covered yoga pants could shout.)
But, and this is a big but, if you are going to do it you have to do it right. You don’t literally wear your sweaty gym gear out for dinner. No. There are rules people.
How To Sport Athleisure Right: Top Ten Tips
Below I have listed some loose guidelines for you to follow, some people positively owning it in their athleisure wear and guess what, athleisure for guys. You got it. Now my disdainful husband can wear his “Poo Pants” (named by me) out in the street loudly and proudly. You go, guy.
1. THE CITY PANT: First and foremost you must have a street jogger. Every brand has some play on this staple but Athleta makes the best one by far. A reliable city jogger pant is an essential part of killing it in athletic street wear. There is just enough room to maneuver without looking sloppy. Pair them with a sleeveless tee and you are set for a walk in the park or a run for groceries.
2. SOME DOS AND DON’TS: The are only a few do’s and a lot of “dos and so nots” when it comes to wearing your gym clothes out and about. Glamour gives a great outline of the rules to abide by. Spoiler alert; no leggings on a date!
3. THE SPORTS BRA: We are allowed to let this bra show. In fact, it is encouraged and the strappier the better.
4. THE COVER UP: I did say don’t just walk out of the gym all sweaty and hope to pull off serious street cred. But sometimes covering up those icky gym clothes in something GORGEOUS is the exception. This parka from Carbon 38 is not only going to keep you warm enough in the spring chill, but also it is going to drive looks in your direction!
5. INSPIRATION: Gigi knows how to rock the athleisure wear. Stretchy workout gear is her go-to style, and she wears it well. I would too if I had abs you could wash clothing on. Her trick seems to be pairing black with one vibrant splash of color.
6. GREAT GAMS: Sometimes rocking athleisure is going to be about originality. These beautiful leggings look like they are a hand-painted work of art. Evolve Fitwear has dozens of stunning styles and original street-worthy options.
7. REAL PEOPLE: The writer of Pumpsandiron.com does a stupendous job of showing how she goes from studio to street. I have never seen anyone photograph themselves actually at pilates and then show how they transition to street-ready. Thanks, Nicole!
8. A PROPER TOP: Tops are one of the hardest athleisure trends to pull off. They often end up looking “sweatshirty” or sloppy. Bayse.com.au shows how it can be done. These soft, flowy athleisure options are spot on.
9. MANLEISURE: Men are not left out of the athleisure trend. I suspect it is a little easier for them to pull it off but this article gives the How-To to going beyond just passing. Fashionbeans gives excellent solutions to making sure he is as street credible as you are.
10. BE CHEEKY: I had to end with this hilarious video from some fantastic women out of Australia. They make excellent fun of the whole “activwearhhh” season trend. Enjoy!
Want to know what the ins and outs of ATHLEISURE are? Here are some additional links for you to check out.
Don’t forget! If you have stinky gym clothes check out my post on the SECRET RUSSIAN SOLUTION.
I know. This post was a little lighter on the cranium than most BUT I think when we look good we feel good. SO, if having cute workout gear you can transition from grocery to treadmill then hurrah! This week I encourage to clean out your gym clothes drawer. What needs to be replaced r refreshed?
Did you love this post? You will love these!